Veterans in Crisis Seminar; Free Clock and Contact Hours
Join clinical psychologist and retired Army Colonel Dr. Kathy Platoni for two free seminars for first responders, health care providers, emergency and crisis workers, and mental health professionals. Both sessions will be held on March 30th at UH Samaritan on Main, 663 East Main Street in Ashland, Ohio. Attend one or both of the sessions.
Session One, 9 – 11 a.m. “The Basics of PTSD: Diagnostic Criteria Made Simple”
- Participants will be able to describe the basic diagnostic features of PTSD.
- Participates will be able to identify those factors that contribute to the onset of PTSD and additionally, understand the internal experience of PTSD: what it looks like, what it feels like.
- Participants will develop a working knowledge of the moral injuries that stem from war.
Session Two, 1 – 3 p.m. “Veterans in Crisis, De-Escalating the Conflict”
- Participants will be able to describe the invisible wounds of war and how the trauma of war impacts those who serve, wounds that do not bleed.
- Participants will develop an in-depth understanding of how to approach veterans in crisis and best practices for de-escalating violent behavior.
- Participants will learn the terminology and lingo of the veteran: those words that allow the veteran in crisis to re-establish control.
Registration is required at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/responding-effectively-to-veterans-in-crisis-dr-kathy-platoni-tickets-31606502901 Two clock hours will be provided to counselors and social workers and two contact hours for nursing for each session attended. Criteria for successful completion are the submission of a completed evaluation form.
This program is sponsored by the Mental Health and Recovery Board of Ashland County, University Hospitals Samaritan Medical Center and Samaritan Hospital Foundation.
(UH Samaritan Medical Center is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Ohio Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. [OH-146/3-1-18] [OBN-001-91]. Criteria for successful completion include attendance of the entire event and completion of an evaluation form. Presenter has no real or perceived conflicts of interest relating to this event.)